Function of the gallbladder in the digestive system
One of the primary functions of the gallbladder is to store and concentrate bile for the digestion of fats and elimination of toxins from the liver which is dumped into the bile, then escorted out of the body via the bowels. Bile also helps to stimulate peristalsis of the digestive tract to further ensure that the toxins from the liver are eliminated.
Once the liver has metabolized toxins the body gets rid of them through various ways such as the skin, breath, sweat, urine, bile, and bowels. The gallbladder is a primary route for elimination of toxins, but if you have a congested gallbladder toxins in the body can build up and further stress other routes of elimination contributing to skin concerns such as acne, bad breath and body odor as the body tries to eliminate toxins through other routes.
If someone has a sluggish gallbladder that is not functioning optimally or the bile is thick and sluggish it’s like cleaning your house but leaving all the rubbish in a corner which then continues to stink up the house and breed bacteria. The same is true in our bodies. If you have a sluggish gallbladder and low bile flow, toxins that are ready for elimination can be reabsorbed into the bloodstream which then further burdens the liver.
Low bile production symptoms
Some common symptoms of low bile production and low bile flow include floating stools, greasy stools, light or clay colored stools, nausea, pain in the right shoulder blade and sluggish bowel movements and or diarrhea.
Ensuring good bile flow from the gallbladder and healthy bowel movements is key before implementing any kind of liver detoxification protocol as the toxins need to be escorted out of the body via the bile.
One of the best ways to promote regular bowel movements and prevent constipation is by supporting bile flow from the gallbladder as bile helps to stimulate peristalsis, thus promoting healthy bowel movements for detoxification.
How to improve gallbladder function
Below are my favorite liver detox supplements to help cleanse a congested liver and improve bile flow from a congested gallbladder. You also want to be sure to be eating foods to cleanse your liver as well.
How to thin bile sludge
1. Phosphatidylcholine (optimal PC) helps to keep bile flowing freely from the gallbladder. Phosphatidylcholine found in sunflower lecithin also helps with emulsification and digestion of fats while also preventing fatty liver
2. Milk thistle is an amazing herb found in seeking health’s liver nutrients that helps to cleanse the liver along with improving gallbladder function and bile flow
3. Turmeric helps to stimulate bile secretion from the gallbladder
4. Dandelion root is a bitter herb that promotes bile flow and is used for a sluggish liver and gallbladder
5. Beets are one of the best foods to improve gallbladder function by getting thick and vicious bile flowing from the gallbladder. Beet kvass with lemon and ginger is also great for liver support.