Take your kale beet apple salad to the next level when it is sprinkled with pumpkin seeds and cranberries, then tossed in a zesty, sweet and creamy citrus vinaigrette that is oil-free. It is such a refreshing and tasty salad and a fantastic way to get liver cleansing vegetables and citrus fruits into your diet.
The salad with beets and apples is made with an oil-free dressing that is perfectly creamy and sweet to complement the earthy flavor of fresh beets. Raw kale is massaged with the citrus vinaigrette for the most delicious salad that is nutritious, vegan, and gluten free. Enjoy this beetroot kale salad that is fantastic for weight loss and liver health!
Ingredients for the Kale Beet Apple Salad:
- 4 cups packed chopped kale
- 1 medium beet, chopped into matchsticks
- 1 apple, chopped into matchsticks
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
Creamy Citrus Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make the Kale Salad with Beets:
- Prepare the Salad Base: In a large bowl, combine the chopped kale, matchstick beets, and matchstick apples.
- Add Crunchy Elements: Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries over the salad for a mix of textures and crunch.
- Make the Creamy Citrus Salad Dressing: In a blender, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, almonds, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and well-emulsified.
- Drizzle and Toss: Pour the creamy citrus salad dressing over the salad. Gently massage the kale and toss to ensure every ingredient is coated in the flavorful dressing.
- Serve and Enjoy: Divide the salad into individual plates or bowls. Garnish with feta cheese or creamy goat cheese if desired. Serve immediately and savor the sweet, refreshing, and citrusy flavors.
Tips and substitutions
The key to making the best tasting kale beet apple salad is to massage the kale in the dressing with your hands until the kale goes limp and absorbs the dressing. Cutting the beets and apples into little match stick shapes yields the best texture, size, and crunch.
Leafy greens can also be used instead of kale.
Roasted and salted pumpkin seeds provide the most delicious salty crunch, but you can replace them with sunflower seeds or crunchy walnuts.
I kept this kale salad with beets and apples dairy-free, but feta cheese is a great addition and complements all the flavors in the fall harvest salad.
A cup of chickpeas can be added to the salad to increase the protein content and turn the salad into a light meal and healthy lunch.
This kale apple beet salad pairs well with white fish and basmati rice for a healthy dinner meal!
Nutritional benefits of the kale beet apple salad
According to Cronometer (a fantastic app for tracking your nutritional and caloric intake of meals and foods), this kale beet apple salad recipe contains 263 calories per serving. It also contains 7 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat, and 35 grams of healthy carbohydrates. This recipe makes 2 large serving sizes, but in smaller portions, this salad can make four smaller side salads, which would be half the calories.
The beetroot kale salad is exceptionally high in vitamins C and K. However, it contains many other nutrients, including B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, folate, vitamin A, E, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc.
This kale beet salad is an excellent recipe for weight loss and reversing insulin resistance. Studies show many benefits of beets for diabetes and liver health, while kale is among the best green vegetables to help lower blood sugar levels. Kale is low in calories yet high in phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals, making it a fantastic vegetable for weight loss.
Beets are also fantastic for supporting a sluggish gallbladder and opening up phase 3 liver detox. I ate beets daily when I had gestational diabetes, and I swear they helped lower my fasting blood sugar.
Healthy fats from almonds and pumpkin seeds provide satiety and contain many vitamins and minerals. Plus, pumpkin seeds are a great source of plant protein. Pumpkin seeds were also listed as a superfood on my Viome gut test, so I like sprinkling them on my salads and always have them stocked in my cupboards.
Beet combined with apples creates the freshest-tasting salad, especially when served with the creamy citrus salad dressing. You will love eating your kale when you massage it in this creamy citrus salad dressing which also tasted great with this kale cranberry salad with goat cheese!
Kale Beet Apple Salad for Weight Loss and Liver Health
- 1 Cutting board and knife
- 1 salad bowl
- 1 High speed blender
- Kale Beet Apple Salad
- 4 cups tightly packed kale
- 1 red apple
- 1 medium beet
- 2 tbsp roasted and salted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp cranberries
- Creamy Citrus Salad Dressing
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp raw almonds
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- dash salt and pepper to taste
- Place all salad dressing ingredients into a blender then blend until smooth.
- Wash and de-stem kale then chop into small pieces. Place in a salad bowl and massage with half of the salad dressing
- Chop the beet and apple into match sticks that are about 1.5 cm long then add to the salad bowl with the pumpkin seeds and cranberries.
- Toss the salad in the remainder of the dressing and enjoy!