This creamy potato vegetable soup is vegan, healthy, and full of liver cleansing vegetables and plant-based protein. I made this potato vegetable soup in a slow cooker, but you can make it on the stovetop in a soup pot.
The soup is spicy, savory, hearty, and creamy all in one. Cajun seasoning and sriracha sauce add the perfect amount of warming spice. Rosemary and thyme are the best savory spiced to flavor a creamy potato soup.
I wanted to make a soup that tasted like a vegetarian pot pie soup that was hearty and creamy. I’m pretty sure this soup hits the spot and satisfies a pot pie craving!
The soup is in a creamy base of blended cashews and hemp seeds for the ultimate creamy vegan potato soup. I ran out of cashews when making this soup, so I substituted the remaining amount with hemp seeds, and it turned out delicious. I used ¾ cup cashews and ¼ cup hemp seeds blended with 1 cup of water to make the creamy base. If you don’t have hemp seeds, you can use an entire cup of cashews blended with water to make this creamy potato vegetable soup.
I used three cubes of vegetable stock dissolved in 6 cups of water to make the vegetable stock. Using vegetable stock cubes to make a vegetarian soup stock is excellent for flavoring the soup and is much cheaper than buying a pre-made vegetable stock.
Making this healthy potato vegetable soup is an excellent way to save money on your grocery bill as it serves 4-6 people. Potatoes, carrots and frozen peas, and corn are all healthy, budget-friendly foods that are easily accessible.
Since becoming a new mom to a newborn, I have loved my crockpot to make soups as you can saute the vegetables, then throw everything into the crockpot, and walk away. Making soups in a slow cooker is a blessing when you have a newborn baby or toddler with unpredictable needs that pull you away from the stove.
With this creamy vegan potato vegetable soup, you can chop, saute, blend, pop all the ingredients into a slow cooker and let the soup simmer for 1-3 hours while you attend to other duties. You won’t have to worry about burning the soup if left to cook in a slow cooker.
Benefits of this healthy potato vegetable soup
- Peas are high in plant-based protein and folate to support the MTHFR gene.
- Green beans are one of the best foods to lower blood sugar levels. All green vegetables are excellent for weight loss and reversing insulin resistance, as green vegetables are low in calories yet full of liver cleansing phytonutrients and antioxidants.
- Cashew milk made from blended cashews and water is a great alternative for cow’s milk to make a creamy soup. Lactose milk sugar is a prevalent food intolerance for many people.
- Potatoes are full of resistant starches that provide satiety and fiber for gut health.
- Onions and garlic contain sulfur compounds that help to support the sulfation liver detoxification pathway.
- Carrots contain carotenoids that are beneficial for eye health. Have you ever noticed that a sliced carrot looks like an eye? Nature sure is intelligent.
- Eating a plant-based diet full of vegetables and low in saturated fats is the best diet for weight loss and reversing insulin resistance. This creamy potato vegetable soup is great for weight loss and gut health with all the liver cleansing vegetables and fiber from plant-based whole foods.
I am all about creating and making healthy recipes that taste delicious yet provide maximum nutrient density—the creamy vegan potato soup ticks all the boxes. Enjoy!
For more healthy recipes grab my free Recipe E-book with 33 healthy whole food recipes 🙂
Creamy Potato Vegetable Soup – Vegan & Healthy
- slow cooker
- High speed blender
- frying pan
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups carrot
- 2 cups green beans
- 4 cups potato
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sriracha
- ¾ cup cashews
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt and pepper (or to taste)
- Dice garlic, onion, carrots and green beans then saute in a frying pan with olive oil, salt and pepper for 10 minutes.
- Dice potatoes into 1 cm chunks.
- Boil 6 cups of water and place in the slow cooker with 3 vegetable stock cubes and diced potato, corn and peas. Add the sauted vegetables and spices.
- Blend hemp seeds and cashews with 1 cup water until smoothe and creamy. Add to the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on high and let everything simmer for 1 hour.
Leave a Reply