Nourish your body with this rich and satisfying chocolate black bean smoothie that is high protein and low fat! It contains wholesome ingredients, including black beans, banana, cocoa, dates, pea protein powder, and almond milk. This delicious black bean smoothie will leave you feeling energized and satisfied.
Whenever you crave chocolate, try making this healthy chocolate black bean smoothie instead, as it’s a great way to sneak in many nutrients while satisfying a chocolate craving without eating any refined sugar. It contains 22 grams of protein and is a fantastic source of magnesium for weight loss.
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients in the chocolate black bean smoothie:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans (canned and rinsed or freshly cooked)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 date, pitted
- 10 grams pea protein powder
- Ice cubes
- Combine in Blender: In a high-powered blender, add the ripe banana, black beans, almond milk, cocoa powder, protein powder, and the pitted date.
- Blend Until Smooth: Blend the ingredients on high speed until you achieve a smooth and creamy texture.
- Taste and Adjust: Take a moment to taste the smoothie. If you have a sweet tooth and desire a sweeter flavor, add more dates or a drizzle of maple syrup, which is a great natural sweetener. Adjust the thickness by adding more almond milk if needed.
- Serve and Enjoy: Pour the chocolate black bean smoothie into a glass, garnish with a sprinkle of cocoa powder or a few crushed nuts, and enjoy the decadent goodness!
Tips and substitutions
If you use frozen bananas, you can skip the ice cubes, but if you use fresh bananas, add ice cubes to chill the smoothie.
To make a low-calorie black bean protein shake, you can reduce the amount of black beans to 1/4 cup and only use 1/2 a banana. This way, the smoothie will only contain 242 calories with 17 grams of protein and will have a thinner consistency closer to a shake.
Reducing the calorie intake and using the black bean shake to replace a meal is a great way to promote rapid weight loss. But if you need more satiety and calories, stick to the original smoothie recipe to maintain a healthy weight and enjoy a more wholesome breakfast smoothie; that is such a healthy way to start your day!
Even though beans are a good source of protein, I added 10 grams of plain pea protein power to this chocolate black bean smoothie, but there are so many great protein powders that you can use to boost the smoothie’s protein content.
Adding hemp seeds or collagen powder is another excellent addition for a boost of protein.
Nutritional and health benefits of the chocolate black bean smoothie:
- Protein-Packed: Black beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein, making this smoothie a great option for those looking to boost their protein intake. They are also fiber-rich and a great bean to help balance blood sugar levels.
- Fiber-Rich: The combination of black beans and banana provides a good amount of dietary fiber, promoting optimal digestive health. This fiber rich black bean breakfast smoothie is also great for weight loss as the fiber will keep you feeling full for much longer thus reducing hunger cravings and your desire to eat. It contains 13 grams of fiber, almost half of the daily recommended fiber intake.
- Antioxidant Boost: Cocoa powder is rich in antioxidants, which may have various health benefits, including reducing inflammation and improving heart health.
- Natural Sweetness: The natural sweetness from the banana and date eliminates the need for added sugars, keeping the smoothie refined sugar-free yet delicious and nutritious.
- Calories and macronutrients: This black bean chocolate smoothie contains 351 calories, 22 grams of protein, 49 grams of carbohydrates, and 5 grams of fat.
- Vitamins & Minerals: According to Cronometer, this smoothie is a good source of folate and b vitamins. Both folate and B2 are crucial for the MTHFR enzyme. It is also high in vitamin E, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. Magnesium is a crucial mineral for blood sugar, weight loss, and insulin resistance, and manganese is the co-factor for the SOD enzyme, the body’s master antioxidant enzyme.
This chocolate black bean smoothie is a nourishing choice for a quick and easy breakfast or a satisfying snack. The high protein-fiber combination is great for weight loss, satiety, and maintaining healthy blood sugars.
Chocolate Black Bean Smoothie – High Protein & Low Fat
- 1 High speed blender
- 1 banana
- ½ cup black beans
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 10 grams unflavored pea protein powder
- 3 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender then blend until smooth and creamy!
You may also like this chocolate quinoa smoothie, chocolate banana smoothie with walnuts for fatty liver and banana black bean brownies!