If you are on a budget or wanting to save money yet still eat healthy rice and beans are your best friends!
This vegetarian burrito filling makes up 6 pinto bean burritos, so it is a great family meal. I love to batch cook bean burritos and freeze any leftovers for easy follow up dinners. If you have a big family or love to batch cook you can easily double the burrito filling recipe to make more.
To make this pinto bean burrito recipe I soak, de-gas and cook dried pinto beans from scratch in a pressure cooker which is the cheapest and healthiest way to eat beans. You can also use canned beans to make the bean burrito filling as well.
The vegetarian burrito filling is easily made with sautéed onions, garlic and red pepper in paprika and cumin blended with additional Mexican spices, rice and pinto beans.
I also use this pinto bean burrito filling as a base for a layered bean dip that is topped with fresh tomato, diced onion, avocado, cheese and cilantro as a Mexican appetizer for potlucks, dinner parties or healthy homemade snacks.
You can also use the burrito filling as a base in Mexican wraps that is mixed with fresh veggies such as tomato, red pepper, romaine lettuce, cheese, corn and cilantro topped with a Mexican hot sauce such as Valentino or Tapatio which are my 2 favorites.
The following bean burrito filler contains delicious cheese but for anyone intolerant to dairy just omit the cheese for a vegan burrito mix that is still tasty!
I used mountain bread rye wraps, but any wrap will work to make homemade burritos and for anyone who is gluten intolerant a gluten-free wrap or black bean wrap can be used instead. Customize these homemade burritos however you like.
Ingredients for Pinto Bean Burritos
4 cups cooked pinto beans
1 cup cooked rice
3 cloves garlic
1 red pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coconut oil
1 cup grated cheese
1 packet store-bought burrito mix such as Old El Paso Burrito Mix
1 packet mountain bread rye wraps (or wraps of your choice)
How to make burrito filling:
• To make this homemade vegetarian burrito filling start by cooking the beans in a pressure cooker or instant pot. You can skip this step and used canned pinto beans instead as well.
• To make the rice place ½ cup of basmati rice into a pot with 1 cup water and bring to a boil then turn the heat on low and let the rice cook for 20 minutes with the lid on or until the rice is soft and all the water has been absorbed.
• Finely dice garlic, onion, and red pepper then saute in a pan with coconut oil, salt, pepper, paprika and cumin for 10 minutes or until the onion is nicely caramelized
• Combine the sauteed vegetables with the cooked pinto beans and rice in a large bowl with mix together with 1 packet of Old El Paso Burrito Mix and 1 cup grated cheese
• To make the homemade bean burritos into wraps lay a wrap out flat and place the bean burrito filling down the center of the wrap before folding each side of the wrap inwards, yielding approximately 6 pinto bean burritos that are ready to be baked.
Once the pinto bean burritos are baked, serve with a side of sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and store-bought salsa.
Pinto Bean Burrito Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Cheese grater
- Pressure cooker if cooking beans from scratch
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 onions
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 packet store bought burrito mix such as El Paso
- 6 wraps mountain bread rye wraps (or wraps of your choice)
- Dice onion, garlic and red pepper
- Melt coconut oil in a pan then saute garlic, onion and red pepper with cumin and paprika for 10 minutes
- Grate 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Combine 4 cup cooked pinto beans or canned pinto beans with cooked rice, cheese and vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Season with 1 packet burrito seasoning mix.
- Evenly distribute burrito filling between 6 wraps down the center. Fold in each side of the wrap.
- Bake the pinto bean burritos in the oven @180 degrees celcius for 20 minutes. Serve with a side of greek yogurt or sour cream with salsa
Grab my free Recipe E-book Simply Delicious and Naturally Nutritious for more healthy recipes 🙂