Energize your body with this fat burning matcha smoothie for weight loss that is made with simple ingredients that will boost your energy levels and kick your metabolism into gear. This matcha weight loss smoothie has many health benefits and nutritional goodness from the matcha, mango, banana, and spinach to fuel and detox your body.
If you’re looking for a matcha smoothie recipe for weight loss, you have got to try this delicious smoothie that is an excellent replacement for your breakfast. Tropical fruits such as mango are a great addition to this healthy matcha smoothie to help hide the taste of matcha, a fine powder that easily blends into smoothies.
Matcha contains a powerful antioxidant called EGCG for short, which has been shown to boost metabolism and increase thermogenesis, the body’s rate of burning calories to assist with weight loss.
Using matcha powder in smoothies is a delicious way to enjoy many types of fruits and green smoothie recipes for weight loss, such as this matcha smoothie with spinach which is very nutritious and high in plant-based protein.
This matcha smoothie has a tropical mango twist with creamy banana, which is full of resistant starch to make you feel satiated while perfectly sweetening this green matcha smoothie.
Fruits and vegetables are the best foods to cleanse the liver, as they are the lowest calorie foods yet nutrient-dense and are rich in antioxidants to reduce inflammation. Precisely what we are looking for to lose weight, achieve optimal health, and slow down the aging process.
This matcha smoothie is naturally sweet from the mango and banana. The addition of matcha and spinach makes this a great smoothie recipe for weight loss that is so tasty! I am sure you will love it!
Ingredients for the Matcha Mango Smoothie for Weight Loss
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach
- 1 cup of frozen mango
- 1 banana
- 1 cup almond milk
Making this matcha mango smoothie is as easy as popping a teaspoon of matcha powder in a blender with all the ingredients and blending until the matcha weight loss smoothie is perfectly creamy.
Tips and Substitutions
Add protein powder, collagen powder, or hemp seeds for extra protein.
A tsp of chia seeds or flax seeds is a great source of healthy fat for optimal brain function. These seeds are a good fiber source that provides additional satiety and are great for gut health. Fiber found in plant foods and seeds is great for stabilizing blood sugar levels.
Health benefits of matcha for weight loss
Matcha powder is the key ingredient in this smoothie as it is one of the best fat-burning ingredients. Studies have found matcha beneficial for increased fat burning, weight loss, and prevention of fat accumulation in the liver in mice fed a high-fat diet! Below is a summary of 3 studies and the benefits of matcha for weight loss.
- Enhanced fat oxidation during exercise: A study on females found that daily intake of matcha green tea powder for three weeks resulted in increased fat oxidation and decreased carbohydrate oxidation during moderate-intensity exercise. Matcha consumption led to a 35% higher fat oxidation rate compared to a placebo group. Burning fat for fuel helps with weight loss as the body accesses stored body fat while concurrently giving you an energy boost, as burning fat for fuel in the body yields more ATP, which equals more energy!
- Amelioration of obesity and metabolic disorders: Matcha green tea was shown to alleviate obesity, lipid accumulation, and hepatic steatosis induced by a high-fat diet in a mouse model. The study also found that matcha supplementation restored alterations in fecal bile acid profile and gut microbial composition and regulated multiple metabolic pathways involved in glucose, lipid, and bile acid metabolism. Preventing and reversing fatty liver is crucial for healthy weight loss.
- Enhanced fat oxidation during brisk walking: Another study with female participants revealed that consuming matcha green tea drinks before a 30-minute brisk walk resulted in increased fat oxidation compared to a control group. Matcha consumption led to an increased breakdown and burning of fat for fuel during exercise!
Overall, matcha green tea has shown potential benefits for weight loss by promoting fat oxidation during exercise, mitigating obesity and metabolic disorders, and enhancing fat oxidation during physical activity. However, it’s important to note that individual results may vary.
Nutritional Benefits of this Matcha Smoothie for weight loss
Spinach is an amazing superfood to add to weight loss smoothies as it is low in calories yet filled with micronutrients and minerals to cleanse the liver for detox and weight loss.
Spinach is also an excellent source of plant-based protein (approximately 26%). It is a good source of thiamine, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin C, riboflavin, vitamin B6, calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, and magnesium.
Both vitamin C, vitamin A, and zinc are important nutrients for the immune system.
Magnesium is the most common nutrient deficiency required for over 300 functions, including making energy (ATP) in the body!
Both riboflavin and folate and two key nutrients required for the MTHFR gene to function. These are essential nutrients involved in the methylation detox pathway of the liver.
Calcium is required to make healthy bones, and potassium, which is found in bananas and spinach, is a crucial electrolyte needed for optimal hydration and the utilization of water in the body. Water and electrolytes are necessary for the body to transport nutrients and flush toxins for weight loss and detox.
The combination of L-theanine and caffeine found in matcha has been shown to have beneficial effects on sustained attention, cognitive function, physical activation, relaxation, and fat oxidation to help with weight loss.
The L-theanine in matcha helps to support relaxation and calmness and, when combined with the caffeine, improves performance and alertness, providing the perfect combo to feel energized without the coffee jitters.
This matcha weight loss smoothie with spinach is filled with nutritional goodness and micronutrients to give you energy while supporting liver health and weight loss.
According to Cronometer, this creamy green smoothie is an excellent source of potassium, manganese, calcium, vitamins C, E, K, and folate. It contains only 243 calories, 5 grams of protein, 47 grams of carbohydrates, and 3 grams of fat.
The authors of Mastering Diabetes recommend a low-fat, plant-based diet for insulin resistance and weight loss. This matcha smoothie for weight loss is in line with their recommendations as it is packed with nutrients yet low in calories and fat.
Cronometer is also a great app to help you track your nutritional and caloric intake, which can help to reach your weight loss goals.
Matcha Mango Smoothie
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- Measure all the ingredients into a high speed blender then blend until smooth and creamy.